Sunday, January 25, 2015

Week 3- Too Much Exercise?

January 19-25
Monday- 60 minutes rock climbing (bouldering), 45 minute dressage school, 75 minute ballet class
Tuesday- 75 minute ballet class, & I did something else but my first post was deleted and now I can't remember what it was!!
Wednesday- 60 minutes rock climbing, 45-60 minute jump school, 60-75 minute schooling session including dressage and jumping (this was by far the most intense workout of my week! And that's saying something as ballet was killer)
Thursday-sick; slept all day
Friday-60 minute dressage lesson
Saturday- 30 minute jump school, 1 mile run (increase of speed each lap 5.5,6.6,7.7mph, and 4.4mph 0.2mile cool down)
Sunday- injured, may not be able to do anything
This week's pictures are a wee bit disturbing, so here's a pleasant picture of Windsor castle from my trip to England this past summer
Two big things this week- Wednesday night I spoke with a family member who's also a doctor, as I was having trouble with fatigue. After talking it through a bit, their conclusion was that I've been pushing myself too hard and exercising too much. I was diagnosed with Mononucleosis (Mono) back in September, and while I've recovered from the worst of it I still struggle with fatigue and a weakened immune system. With such mild symptoms, it's often hard to remember that technically, I'm still 'sick' and as a result I tend to burn myself out on a semi-regular basis. For example, from Monday to Wednesday I'd completed over 7 hours of intense physical activity. As a result, Thursday I was ill and spent my day either in lectures, or asleep. I'd intended to ridde 2 horses, but making it to the grocery store was enough of a challenge, so for the rest of the week I tried to tone things down a bit.

Thing number 2- the injury. On Saturday, I decided to go for a run on the treadmill... Barefoot. Overall I was pleased with how the run went. However about 1/3 of the way through my feet started to hurt a bit. By 0.5mile I could feel blisters forming on my feet. However, I wanted to get my mile in so I decided I would run until 0.8 of a mile, and then use the remaining 0.2 as a speed walk cool out so I could put some more weight on my heels. Here are some pictures of my feet when I got off the treadmill, once I'd treated them with ointment, and again when I woke up this morning:
Right away
After ointment
Morning after
I have 4 large blisters, one of which (big toe of my right foot) is filled with blood. Yay! Unfortunately they make walking very painful, & I'm afraid they're going to make ballet impossible, as most of your weight is distributed over the ball of your foot & toes. Hopefully I'll still be able to ride though :/

No comments:

Post a Comment